Call for journalists/ photographers: 'EUtopia' on the ground, 21-24 February 2013, Budapest (closed)
Report for us from Budapest, 21- 24 February 2013 Editor in charge: Valeria Nicoletti/ email@example.com 7 EU cities: 7 monthly special 'city' editions in 2013 We're continuing our series of monthly reporting missions to a different city in our Europe-wide network, in 2013 with the launch of EUtopia on the ground, a special focus on the future of our European continent.
STEP ONE: WHAT IS EUTOPIA?
You tell us! This monthly editorial series aims to raise consciousness on the issues of the future and fantasy in Europe in times of a major identity crisis.
TO DO WHAT:
- Valorising local, young projects, ideas, stories, initiatives and angles that have emerged from preoccupations challenging our future and fantasy.
- Be ‘on the ground’ and make us feel you’ve been hanging out and working in Budapest.
- Use more 'gonzo' journalism than 'institutional' journalism - be creative, be personal, whilst staying journalistic-minded with the facts and statistics, the sources and interviewees.
- Spend time with locals, describe what you saw/ felt/ learned from them.
- Be critical - ‘EU’ isn’t an ideology for cafebabel.com.
STEP TWO: WANTED
(written or video) and will be selected to join the relevant editor on this mission to - writing on aforesaid offbeat, future and utopia-related topics with the support of our local host team.
Three journalists one photographerHungary
Don’t come unprepared, so we can make some noise whilst we are in town.
It’s your article proposals that will get you noticed for this mission: so be creative, do some research before applying, flog your idea donkeys to me.
STEP THREE: LOGISTICS
- Book your own flights/ trains to Budapest.
- A sum of up to 280 euros is reimbursed by cafebabel.com (provided receipts are kept) upon return from the trip and receipt of the article.
- Other travel and food expenses are reimbursed (for more information see with our project manager Emeline/ firstname.lastname@example.org). The team is hosted by our warm locals (read cafebabel Budapest's blog here), or at a hostel.
The editor in charge at Paris HQ, who will be leading the mission in Budapest (read their cityblog, budapest.cafebabel.com), will supervise you in defining the angle of your article and making preparations for interviews at least three weeks before the trip is due to commence.
... It is up to you to do your own research before leaving for the project, to find interesting and book interviewees and ideas 'on the ground'. Do not be afraid to come prepared.
The written piece is due in strictly one week later, when the relevant linguistic editor from the central Paris office will edit your piece.
It will then be translated by our volunteer networks, and published in six languages within the following month.
STEP FOUR: APPLY
- With your CV, three-line EUtopia article proposals, newsworthy links, reference to the crisis of ideas and identity in Europe, ideas of interviewees...
Be original! Be non-consensual! Please do not write to us with anything less - or your application will not be considered. We look forward to working with you!
Contact: Valeria Nicoletti, email@example.com
(Image: (cc) panoramas/ flickr)
This project is funded with support from the European Commission via the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Hippocrène Foundation and the Charles Léopold Mayer Foundation for the Progress of Humankind.